George E. Marifian
George E. Marifian is a shareholder at Mathis, Marifian & Richter (MMR), who concentrates his practice in business law, civil and criminal tax controversy, estate planning and probate and litigation related to these practice areas. He is a recognized tax authority.
Since cofounding MMR in 1984, George has provided a full range of superior legal services to clients in the Southern Illinois and St. Louis Metropolitan areas. With over 30 years of professional experience, his background includes providing legal counsel related to closely held businesses and individuals, business sales and acquisitions, and shareholder litigation; civil tax audits, appeals and federal tax litigation, tax collection disputes and criminal tax defense; real estate transactions; wills and trusts and probate litigation.
George has dedicated years of volunteer service to numerous community organizations and has served on the Boards of Directors of the Call for Help, Inc., the River Bluffs Girl Scout Council and the Signal Hill Education Foundation. He was also elected and twice reelected to the Board of Education of Signal Hill School District No. 181 and has served as its president.
George is very involved in Holy Virgin Mary and Shoghagat Armenian Orthodox Church, where he currently serves on the Parish Council. He is an ordained sub-deacon, who regularly assists in the Liturgy and for many years has lead worship services in the absence of the pastor. For 20 years, he was the parish’s delegate to the Diocesan Assembly of the Armenian Church of America and was one of only 400 elected clergy and lay delegates worldwide to attend the National Ecclesiastical Assembly of the Armenian Orthodox Church at the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin in Armenia for the pontifical election of the Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians in April 1995.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association (ABA), Member
- Civil and Criminal Tax Penalties Committee, Member
- Employment Tax Committee, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA), Member
- Business Advice and Financial Planning Section Council, Past Chairman
- Institute for Illinois Business Laws, Member
- Board of Directors of the St. Clair County Bar Association , Past Member
- Illinois CPA Society’s (ICPAS) Estate and Gift Tax Planning Committee, Past Member
- ICPAS Southern Illinois Tax Conference, Past Chair
- Illinois Secretary of State’s Business Acts Advisory Committee, Member