Patrick B. Mathis
Patrick Mathis is a shareholder at Mathis, Marifian & Richter (MMR), who focuses his practice in business law, taxation, estate planning and banking.
With nearly 30 years of experience, Pat has an extensive background in providing legal counsel related to business mergers, sales and acquisitions, shareholder litigation, trusts and wills, probate, federal and state tax audits and appeals, tax court litigation and criminal tax defense. He has written several definitive articles on various aspects of each area.
Over the past 25 years at MMR, Pat has provided a full range of superior legal services to clients in the Southern Illinois and St. Louis Metropolitan areas. His mission is to deliver superior personalized service to every client, no matter how large or how small. He has the knowledge to identify the issues and find creative solutions, whether it's analyzing complex tax or estate planning issues or advising business clients.
Pat currently serves on the Board of Directors for the March of Dimes, Southern Illinois District; the Board of Trustees for Illinois College of Jacksonville, Illinois; as a board member for the Southwestern Illinois College Foundation and for the Camp Ondessonk of the Catholic Diocese of Belleville; and as a Southern Illinois University Foundation Planned Giving Council member. He previously served on the Board of Directors for St. Clair County Greenspace Foundation and Signal Hill Neighborhood Association, and he was also a board member for the Signal Hill Education Foundation and Signal Hill School District. Pat also previously served on Special Children, Inc.’s Finance Committee for Mamie O. Stookey School and as chairman of Big Brothers Big Sisters of St. Clair County’s Annual Fund Drive. He is very involved in Blessed Sacrament Parish, having been a member of the Finance and Parish Councils and serving as president and as a Parish School of Religion teacher. Pat is also currently a member of the Missouri Athletic Club, St. Clair Country Club, Alpha Sigma Nu and Eta Sigma Phi.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, Taxation Section, 1980 - 1992
- American Bar Association, Member, Domestic Relations Tax Problem Committee, Taxation Section, 1982 - 1988
- American Bar Association, Vice Chairman, Alimony Issues Subcommittee, Taxation Section, 1984 - 1986
- American Bar Association, Member, Civil and Criminal Tax Penalties Committee, Taxation Section, 1989 - 1992
- American Bar Association, Member, General Practice Section, 1987 - 1988
- American Bar Association, Chairman, Taxation Committee, General Practice Section, 1989 - 1991
- American Bar Association, Vice Chairman, Taxation Committee, General Practice Section, 1987 - 1989
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, Federal Taxation Section Council, 1980-1985 and 1989-1991
- Illinois State Bar Association, Vice Chairman, Federal Taxation Section Council, 1991 - 1992
- Illinois State Bar Association, Secretary, Federal Taxation Section Council, 1990 - 1991
- Illinois State Bar Association, Chairman, Corporate Tax Division, Federal Taxation Section, 1983 - 1985
- Illinois State Bar Association, Editor, Federal Taxation Section Newsletter, 1982 - 1985
- Missouri Bar Association, Member
- St. Clair County Bar Association, Member
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Member, Taxation Committee, 1989 - 1991
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education(IICLE), Board of Directors, 1990 - Present
- St. Clair County Greenspace Foundation, Board of Directors, 1990 - Present
- Signal Hill Neighborhood Association, Board of Directors, 1989 - Present
- Special Children, Inc. (Mamie O. Stookey School), Finance Committee, 1987 - Present
- Missouri Athletic Club, Member
- Blessed Sacrament Church, Member
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel